1955 - Caravans, Spartans and Cadets.

As already discussed, several of the airfield staff and instructors were accommodated in three caravans on the north side of the airfield. As the pressure on post-war housing was unrelenting, permission was sought for a fourth to be sited in 1955, but this was refused initially. The airfield was still L shaped, but as can be seen in the photo below, the landing area was more than sufficient for most light aircraft of the day, even with Wimpey's cricket pitch still resident in the north-east corner.

Denham Aerodrome in 1955 looking east. The cricket pitch can be clearly seen in the north-east corner.


Denham Aerodrome in 1955, looking east. The cricket pitch can be clearly seen in the north-east corner.


Denham Aerodrome in 1955 looking south east. Note the complete lack of houses in Denham Green.
Denham Aerodrome in 1955, looking south east. Note the complete lack of houses in Denham Green.

The Denham Flying Club was operating a mixture of Miles M.14A Hawk Trainer IIIs and Austers of various types. One of the Miles M.14As, G-AJZH, had been jointly owned by three of the founders of the Denham Aero Club, Messers McNamara, Milli and Piri, who purchased it in January 1950. This was transferred to the Denham Flying Club in September 1953, then repainted into a new green and silver scheme in 1955. The aircraft was to continue with the club before it was written off in an accident in January 1958.

Miles M.14A Hawk Trainer III G-AJZH in a rare colour photograph after its 1955 repaint.
Miles M.14A Hawk Trainer III G-AJZH in a rare colour photograph after its 1955 repaint.

The Denham Flying Club also acquired a new Auster J1N Alpha in September, G-AGVJ, purchased from Mitchell Aircraft Ltd of Portsmouth. Built in 1945, it was to remain with the club until July 1963, and was to be flown by two more private owners until being eventually permanently withdrawn from use in 1971. Austers were popular with both students and clubs, being relatively easy to fly and cheap to operate. The cost of a one hour flying lesson in an Auster in 1955 was £1 17s 6d, or £1.87½p in modern money. Remember, this price included the fuel, the maintenance costs, the depreciation on the airframe and the instructors salary!

The Denham Flying Club purchased a new Auster J1N Alpha in September 1955, G-AGVJ.
The Denham Flying Club purchased a new Auster J1N Alpha in September 1955, G-AGVJ.

Another remarkable aircraft came to Denham in March 1955 in the form of G-ABWP, a Spartan Arrow built in 1932. The first registered owner of the aircraft was Richard Shuttleworth, founder of the now world famous collection of vintage aircraft and vehicles based at Old Warden airfield in Bedfordshire. After passing through several private owners post-war, the Arrow was purchased by Messers Green, Bootle and Sweeting on 15 March 1955, who founded the Spartan Flying Group at Denham based around the aircraft. Interestingly, the aircraft is still flying today, owned by Ruchard Blaine, who still displays the Spartan Arrow occasionally at Shuttleworth's air shows. Like their aircraft, the Spartan Flying Group also still exist, nowadays flying a de Havilland DHC.1 Chipmunk, G-ATHD, also still based at Denham.

Spartan Arrow G-ABWP photographed at Denham in 1955.
Spartan Arrow G-ABWP photographed at Denham in 1955.


G-ABWP is still flying today, seen here at a Shuttleworth Air Show in 2017.
Spartan Arrow G-ABWP seen at a Shuttleworth Air Show in 2017.

The Air Training Corps has a long association with Denham, one of their gliding schools being based on the aerodrome during the Second World War, and 2370 (Denham) Squadron ATC still being part of the airfield today. The Royal Air Force had provided flying training to the Air Training Corps since its foundation in 1941.

The Air Training Corps awarded scholarships at civilian flying schools in the 1950s. The Denham Flying School used such aircraft as G-AFBS for cadet flying.
The Air Training Corps awarded scholarships at civilian flying schools in the 1950s. The Denham Flying School used such aircraft as G-AFBS for cadet flying.

After the war's end, the need for military pilots increased during the 1950's so the flying scholarship scheme was expanded to allow approved civilian flying schools to provided cadet training. The Denham Flying Club was one such school, chief instructor Derek Wright was himself an ex-RAF instructor so understood the requirements of military flying training.

Brian Cheater won an RAF scholarship and gained his PPL at Denham. He is seen here with the aircraft he went on to fly in the RAF, the mighty English Electric Lightning.
Brian Cheater won an RAF scholarship and gained his PPL at Denham. He is seen here with the aircraft he went on to fly in the RAF, the mighty English Electric Lightning.

One of the cadets who trained at Denham was Brian Cheater in 1955. He passed the selection process in 1954, winning a scholarship for 30 hours flying. Cadets were expected to learn to fly and achieve a Private Pilot's Licence in that time. Brian started the course the following year in his school holidays, his instructors were Derek Wright and Eric Pope. On the 2 August 1955 he made his first solo flight in the Miles Hawk Trainer III, G-AFBS. This aircraft survived many students and has earned well deserved retirement in the Imperial War Museum, Duxford. By the 20 April 1956 Brian had finished his hours and was awarded his PPL, No. 44298, at the age of 17. He was an exceptional pilot, being one of the few who went on to fly the Hawker Hunter and English Electric Lightning, eventually becoming a member of the 56(F) Squadron aerobatic team, the Firebirds. He retired in 1976 to become the Assistant Director of Birmingham Airport.

Brian was also a member of the 1963 Firebirds Aerobatic Team from 56(F) Squadron, flying displays all over Europe.
Brian was also a member of the 1963 Firebirds Aerobatic Team from 56(F) Squadron, flying displays all over Europe.

With the Airways Aero Club beginning to move to Croydon but the Denham Flying Club expanding, both civil and Air Training Corps flying training at Denham meant the instructors were fully employed. Further changes were to affect the aerodrome, as will be related next.

 

1954 page

Index page

Index page